Business Trip, Like a Fancy Person!

Recognise that tall thing? It's not in Lancaster – it's the BT Tower in London. Because I went to London, on business (*insert one of those shocked-face emojis here, except I won't because I don't put emojis in my blog because I prefer to use my words*).

Yes, it's true, I officially became a fancy person the week before my little summer staycation (the proper definition of staycation, involving staying at home in my own house). I popped down to London to work with my two bosses for a couple of days, which is not a thing I've ever done in my life. I've been to London lots of times, but never for work. 


Now, you might think that none of this really counts as a walk, but if you're not getting the tube or a bus or a cab in London, you're doing a fair bit of walking if you want to get about. Having said that, I (very cleverly, if I do say so myself) booked a hotel that was less than a mile away from the office space, and also less than a mile away from Euston station. So I actually only walked a handful of miles over two days, but that was mainly only two streets. Bonkers! Two miles where I live gets you right across the whole town, pretty much. 

I decided to keep things totally real and honest, and I told my bosses that I was a complete novice at navigating my way around London and generally being a human adult in the big city, so they looked after me very beautifully. I'm 44 years old, and I needed to be babysat by my two bosses who are ten years younger than me. Pathetic, I'm aware, but not everyone knows how to be in a humongous metropolis. Other people don't know how to get around in the country, so it's all even. 

I was hoping I'd get a little free time to do some sightseeing because we were right in the middle of Zone 1 (city centre), but there was a lot of work to do and I only had two days, so there was no time for a wander. Maybe next time, if they'll let me stay an extra night.

So, seeing this building on University Street was the point at which I remembered that London has some of the most beautiful architecture. And I love me some architecture. It's about the only thing I can draw – I'll show you some time, but I can't be bothered right now to dig out the handful of sketches I did once. But be warned now that the rest of my London photos consist solely of architecture – I only had time to snap quick photos as I was walking to the office/hotel/station.


Here we have a corner of Chancery Lane, round the corner from the office space. This will not be exciting to you, but it was very exciting to me. I stood on this corner, grinning and whispering to myself, 'noooo waaaaaaay ... Chancery Lane!!! Brilliant ...' like a complete melon. You see, I'm currently working my way through CJ Sansom's Shardlake series (Matthew Shardlake is a lawyer in the time of Henvy VIII, and it's like Midsomer Murders in that, whatever case Shardlake is working on, someone turns up dead and he has to investigate – brilliant books), and the books are set right here! You know by now that I am a simple soul who is easily excited by things that other people find mundane – if you didn't know that, this post will confirm it for you.

So Chancery Lane – brilliant! Course, it wouldn't have looked anything like this in the 1530s. But at least I can now imagine where Shardlake was as he trotted down the street on his horse called – wait for it – Chancery, yeah.


The next bunch of pictures was taken after the first day's work, on my walk back to my hotel. It was raining quite heavily and I'd come all the way to London without a coat, but I didn't care. We'd done a good day's work and I was still feeling like a fancy person on a business trip (in my jeans, t-shirt, trainers and a hoodie because that's how we roll), so the rain couldn't dampen my spirits on this very exciting adventure.

I don't remember what this building was, but it was a belter. Look at those mullioned windows – beautiful.


This is a bit of King's College (I think you're supposed to use its full name of King's College London, but as we know where we are I don't think it's necessary here). I didn't know when I walked past it, but this is the Maughan Library – full of booooooooks! Divine. Also, just a terribly beautiful building. 


Same building, different angle. Would you look at those windows?! I've made a note of the windows on this one because I need them in my dream house. 


I took many more photos on Chancery Lane, in the rain, but I won't bore you with them because they were much the same. Many different buildings for lawyers and barristers and QCs to work in, all very fancy and clean. My hotel was on Fleet Street, where there are a couple of Tudor buildings, so it was quite easy to imagine some of the goings on from my book here. Shardlake is always galloping down Fleet Street because there's been another murder or he's been summoned by an archbishop or some such important person. (I've just been down another Google rabbit hole and found that there are Shardlake tours of the city – I've put this on my tourist list for another time.)


Turrets! Putting those on the list for my dream house. I'd love to sleep in a turret room. I hoped as I took this photo that the fella waiting for his bus didn't think I was a weirdo taking a photo of him, but then I realised that Londoners probably don't bat an eyelid at obvious out-of-towners taking pictures of their streets. Mind you, even if they did think I was weird, would I really care? I don't think so. 


So, I (the company) paid for a room with a view. This was what I got – West Side Story! Brilliant. I wonder what the rooms without views were like. But I'm not complaining! It was a veeeeerrrrryyy comfortable bed and I slept like a baby, which was all I needed.


The next morning, bright and early at 8am, I was out and on the hunt for a bit of breakfast. I didn't find any, but I did take a load more photos on the way back to the office. The Law Society – fancy! I don't know what it is, specifically, or what it does or is for, but it's probably very important. Any place with columns like that must be important. (I once spent several weeks of an Open Uni course studying pictures of columns – just a bit of useless information for you.)


I've not been able to find out what this building is – Google Maps doesn't tell me and I'm not really sure how else to find out, not being much of a whizz at research. They're just all over the place in London, these interesting buildings that could be anything. I think I'm one of those annoying people who get in the way of others trying to go about their business because I stop dead in the middle of the street when I see a fancy bit of brickwork and go, 'oooooooh' before taking twenty pictures. I must stand out a mile as a tourist. But there's nothing wrong with maintaining a sense of childlike wonder, eh?


Last one. I've not found out what goes on in here either. Maybe it's flats. Doesn't matter. It's pretty – I think we saw this one yesterday from the other side, so we've come full circle. 

I thought I might get chance to walk down to the palace after work on my second day, what with it only being a mile and a half from the office space, but we didn't finish work until late, and then I only had an hour to eat and get to the station. So that was that. Quick dash into London, a bunch of work for two days, and then a quick dash home, just in time for bed. What I have learnt from this trip is that this way of living permanently would definitely not be for me – played havoc with my digestion, for one thing! For another, the sensory overload and culture shock were substantial, and I found it difficult to concentrate. I am a rural person, definitely not a city dweller. It was fun to play at being a businessperson for a couple of days, but it was better to come home and know exactly where everything is and how to get to it. I will be going to London once a quarter from now on, so I should get to do some sightseeing next time, and I will share it with you – I can just tell how excited you are about that prospect (*there is no sarcasm font, but there should be*).

I hope you haven't been too bored reading this post. Back to the countryside and some greenery for the next one.

Until then, globetrotters,

Linda

Comments

  1. I loved reading your post about the architecture on Chancery Lane🌈

    I had typed out a a little post about my experience of working in the John Rylands and at Gawthorpe Hall Padiham, both beautiful buildings with wonderful architecture🏰

    I'm fortunate enough now to be working at the Judge's Lodge Lancaster after a move up here last year🌈 I find myself permanently immersed in the past🌠

    Never lose your sense of wonder and magic, it is what make us feel alive and keeps us connected🌈🌠💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! And my apologies for the delay in responding – unforgiveable!

      I'm so pleased you enjoyed this one. I loved admiring the architecture on Chancery Lane, it's a bit special. Where can we read your post?

      What a lovely place to work – I haven't been to the Judge's Lodgings for a long time, but I always loved it. And there's nothing wrong, to my mind, with being permanently immersed in the past :) I try to live like that as much as I can, even down to my book choices!

      I never intend to lose my sense of wonder and magic – I agree completely!

      Delete

Post a Comment