The Lights are Bright on Broadway

The long street where I drop James off for school in the morning is called Broadway. You've seen it before because Matthew and I have walked all the way up and down that long road a couple of times. Matthew doesn't get dropped off on Broadway anymore – Covid means he has to go in a different gate to stay in his year bubble. But anyway, yes, the lights are very bright on Broadway just now. I believe the line is actually 'the neon lights', but I didn't see any neon on this street. Just LEDs.

The first tree we saw was a pretty one, but trees in bay windows don't turn out very well in my photos. I'm still posting the picture though because I took the time to block out the owner's car number plate, and that's really what I'm showing you. I know, it's very impressive. I didn't even use Photoshop.


What I want to know is, how did they get these lights on this tree? What kind of ladder can get you right to the top of there without you having to lean in and risk breaking your neck? Maybe they have their own cherry picker in the garage just for this purpose. Maybe they use it at certain other times of the year to clear their guttering. Well, whatever tricks or sorcery they used to get these lights on this tree, it's a pretty one. 


Further on, where the posh houses are, these aren't Christmas lights. These are just the lights these owners have on throughout the year to make their property look even posher. What's the point in having a posh house if you're not going to show it off? Especially on Broadway. No point, really. 


But this is really how you do railing lights. There's no other way. This or nothing. All other variations of railing lights are wrong, paling in comparison to these, the best railing lights.


Do people intentionally plant Christmas trees in their gardens, just so they can put lights on them at this time of year? I do hope so. This one's nice, isn't it? Tasteful and elegant. I asked Matthew if he'd like to live in a house like this. 'No,' says he, 'it's got columns – columns look ridiculous, Mother.' Okay.


At the end of Broadway is the prom. On the prom, there's half a car. Did y'ever see half a car on the road before? Reduce your motoring cost now! I don't know why I'm showing you this, other than every time we pass it, I go 'oh look, half a car.' It's not even funny. Matthew rolls his eyes and James tuts and says, 'Mother, shut up, no one cares.' It's nice, the way my children talk to me – I won't tell you the worst things they say.


We sat on the flood wall for a bit to take a breather before heading back. And just as we were about to cross the road, we spotted Buster and his humans. I don't know if we told you about Buster – the walk when we met him might have been one of the ones we didn't write about because I hadn't taken any pictures. Buster is the same age as Freya, and he's a lovely little fella. He's a dark-grey Staffy-crossed-with-something – I can't remember what his humans said he was crossed with. Well, Freya's a bit livelier than Buster, and he just stands there being sniffed and prodded by Freya's nose. I don't let her jump all over him like she wants to because we don't want to frighten the poor boy. Then after a minute or two of being harrassed by my dog, he shuffles over to me, looks up into my eyes and asks if I'd like to stroke him under his chin, so I duly oblige because he's very sweet. Freya's not keen on that and she starts growling and telling him off, like, 'excuse me, Buster, that's my human, you've got your own.' She's a bit of a madam, but she's got some spirit, which is a good thing, probably.

Here's Freya just as she spotted Buster today. So if we ever want to see a friend, we always know we can walk here on the prom of an evening. Lovely. 


We walked back down Broadway when Buster and his humans had carried on their way. We sang a few show tunes, Matthew and I, because, well, Broadway.

Until tomorrow, sparklers.

WQ+M+F

Comments