Marine Road East

We fancied a change today, Matthew and I, and we went to Morecambe, which is only two miles from our house. We didn't walk all the way there – that would be ridiculous, since we've only just remembered that we do still have the ability to walk further than the shop at the end of the road. We'll work up to getting to Morecambe without the car soon. I don't think a flask of tea will cut it though – we'll need proper provisions. Probably rest stops. And maybe back-up.

For those of you who have never been to or seen photos of Morecambe, you're in for a treat! Morecambe is a seaside town that's quite famous for its Victorian architecture.


Unfortunately, the stretch of prom that I favour doesn't have any.

It occurred to me as we were walking that you might not believe I'd actually taken my walk today because anyone can just steal photos of Morecambe online. So I took a photo of my walking leg, and Matthew's too. Complete proof.  


Lovely light this evening and a very clear blue sky. It's always quite bracing on the prom, and I always forget and don't wear enough layers. But it was very pleasant, nonetheless, and we just strode out and warmed up very nicely. I got a bit carried away taking photos of the 'new' flood defences (they're not new – they've been here for about 20 years), because they're covered in very pretty relief scupltures. I won't bore you with them all, but this is the prettiest, I think: 


So, you'll probably want proof that Morecambe is a seaside town, global readers? No problem – feast your eyes on this!



Just like Baywatch! 

I thought this guy was quite brave to be paddling in Morecambe bay today because it wasn't all that warm:


I've used Google Maps and measured the total distance we walked this evening – I thought it must have been about seven miles. It was two miles. I should've been able to guess that because the whole of the prom is only three miles long, which is a fact I knew. 


We decided that this point was where we'd stop and turn back. This is like some kind of boat graveyard. I swear these boats are never moved or boarded. Matthew says he saw a person on one of them once, but he's never seen them go out to sea either. I'm sure these same boats have been here since I was about two years old.

I should just point out that what you can see in the far distance is Warton Crag. I suppose you could say that the hazy stuff in the very far distance is the start of the Lake District, but don't strain your eyes – I'll get you a better photo of the Lakes on a less hazy day. 


It's obligatory to include a close-to-sunset photo in any blog containing photos of Morecambe. This is the crab pool, where we used to use bits of bacon tied to string to catch wee crabs. Fun times.

And for your final photo today, a spot-the-bird quiz! 

In this photo, there's a pied wagtail – see if you can spot it. 


My trusted birdsong site doesn't have this one, but it has a white wagtail: https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/white-wagtail/

Until tomorrow, you crazy kids.

WQ


Comments